Monday, September 14, 2009

About the Ankle

It seems like so many things have come out of this broken ankle.

Steve and Ellie have had work out doing a lot of the things I used to but can't or shouldn't. They also have had to be more organized to deal with school transport, the dog, etc. Steve mentioned in his testimony this month that he had prayed to gain more understanding of what I do. Some husbands came up afterwards and thanked him for the warning.

On the other hand, they have had some benefits. Handicapped parking is one that comes to mind. A lot of things in this town become easier when you can use handicapped parking. Handicapped access to theme park rides is another. Of course, they have to have me along, but I think I rode more rides when we went to Hershey Park in August than I have ridden our last three or four theme park visits combined. I also learned that we aren't really cutting in line, as you have to get validated for a time and then come back and you can only get validated on one ride at a time. I also learned that the reason automatic sinks don't work for me is I am standing up! They work great for a wheelchair bound person. Sorry.

I don't know what else Steve or Ellie may be getting out of this, but I had wanted to slow down. Not a problem now.
I wanted to drive less. Can't drive now.
Wasn't sure how I would find time to work on getting my bachelor's degree. Lots of time for that.
I have had to prioritize what I do and don't do and work out how to get there. So I have eliminated a lot of activities I realized weren't that important and I get to spend quality time with Mom and Marie.
Mom and I were having a hard time getting together to exercise walk and now Mom has worked out a way to get exercise everyday and even improved on the quality.
I was worried about getting a total workout, and now I am (except for my right leg, which looks terrible, but that is coming. And now that I have a boot on instead of a cast, I can take it off and flex my foot and ankle.)
Improving my balance. It's amazing what you can do while standing on one leg.
Lose weight. Somehow the calories seem twice as bad when you can't rationalize that you can work them off.

Some things I will try never to complain about again:
Vacuuming
Doing laundry
Going up or down stairs to get something
Sweeping and dusting
Washing windows
Cleaning in general
Driving
Doing anything that I used to do with my right foot
Anything to do with my Primary calling as first councilor (well, maybe still the scouting part)
You get the idea.

So, it would appear this was a blessing for lots of people. Including me.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Sometimes these trials are a blessing in disguise. I am sure the lord knew he would have to take serious action to get you to slow down. =)