Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Final Foot Thoughts

 Well, almost a year after the break, I feel like I am pretty much back to normal, just the light swelling in the ankle at the end of the day.  I can still walk everyone else into the ground and my flexibility in my toes is almost up to the other foot (still working on that.)  But I don't think I would be there if it wasn't for the Lord's blessing and my "talent" for stubborn determination.
At the end of three months of casts and boots (they finally put me in a boot mid-September), I started driving.  That proved to be a form of therapy all its own.  Good thing, as it took 4 weeks to get into physical therapy assessment--mid-October.  They started me the next week.
After 6 weeks of twice weekly therapy, I decided that enough was enough.  Physical therapy at Bethesda Naval Hospital is definitely driven by "need".  I admit my problem was not as big as some, I am not a war injury, but rather than drive 45 minutes to do my exercises by myself, I figured I could stay home and save the time and gas. 
The final straw was the last day I went.  I had arrived, waited to "see" the therapist.  Waited 25 minutes, asked if there was a problem, oh, I was there?  (yes, I had checked in), was sent back and told to start my warm-up, finished, started my exercises (therapist not around), was on 2nd of 6 different rotations and looking for the equipment when the fire alarm went off.  Grabbed my stuff as I walked out (good decision to keep it by me) and finally located my therapist for the day in the crowd outside.  You don't have to wait, she informed me, these can take a while. 
But I hadn't even finished. 
Oh, we'll work on it next time. (But it was my last official appointment before the next review). 
Hmm.  45 minute drive, 25 minute wait, 10 minutes of work.
My last appointment was a review with the person who decided what the next step would be.  Did my walk in bare feet, balance, etc.  and made a strong argument for working on my own.  He was amenable, but asked me to email him in a month and let him know how I felt it was going and if I needed to do more.
About 2 months later this is what I sent:
Dr. E...,
You asked me to email you at the beginning of the year about how I feel
about my ankle recovery.  I wasn't sure at the time so I have waited a
little.  I feel that I am doing fine.  I still have some nervousness about
the stairs where I broke my ankle, but find that I have no problems using
other stairs and sometimes I even find I go down those stairs without a
problem in the mornings. 
I also have a little weakness, but it is only noticeable when I swim, (in
that I find it is tired before my other ankle) so I will keep working to
build it up.  I understand that the swelling can take up to two years to
finally completely go away, and I have some small swelling that becomes
visible as the day progresses-especially if I walk a lot.  However, I can
walk as far as I could before, so I am not concerned about that either.  The
tendon opposite the break is only mildly tender to the touch now, so I am
seeing progress on all fronts.
Unless something I have told you would be an issue from your perspective, I
don't see any need to come back in.
Thank you for your help.
This was his reply:
I love e-mails like this!  It sounds like you are doing wonderfully.  Keep
working it but as always listen to what your body is telling you (i.e. pain
means stop).  I will discharge you officially from physical therapy.  Of
course, if you need us again in the future, simply have your physician place
a consult in the system. 
E..., DPT
Sounds good to me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HMMMM

David said...

Obviously, I can relate to your experience from the medical professional side, but I also had a recent run of physical therapy for a shoulder problem.

Though I think I did benefit a lot at first, it did get to a point where it wasn't anything I couldn't do on my own, and the un-funded expenses were starting to get alarming. I dropped the therapy and just worked on my own and now I'm almost back to "normal."

It's kind of funny that if you pay attention, you can tell when the therapist even knows that you don't need to be going to them anymore, but will keep letting you come if it's reimbursed.